The Department of Library Technical Services (DTS) is among the three departments of Directorate of Library and Technical Services (DLTS). The Department coordinates the activities of four units, namely: Acquisition & Processing Unit, Bindery Unit, Photocopy Services Unit, and Audio Visual and Public Address Unit. Currently, the department has fourteen (14) staff distributed in the mentioned units as follows; Nine (9) working in Acquisition & Processing Unit, four (4) under Audiovisuals and one (1) allocated in bindery and Photocopy Units.
Functions of Department of Technical Services (DTS)
- Process order requests including verification of bibliographic information and vendor selection.
- Identify, verify, evaluate and edit bibliographic records for new materials following international guidelines and local procedures.
- Effectively monitor the processing of materials in priority order.
- Provide labelling and physical processing of library materials.
- Review database transactions for accuracy, completeness and consistency.
- Provide necessary preservation measures and mending of materials for library use (bindery)
- Withdraw items and the related bibliographic records, when necessary. (discarding/weeding)
- Conduct inventories of selected collections as necessary (stocktaking/evaluation)
- Sort and solve problem materials returned to Technical Services and evaluate these materials for retention based on current policies.
- Evaluate and solve problems with items according to library policies.
- Provision of Audio System in classes and requested venues
- Assisting classes with Visual Aids i.e. Multimedia projectors, Television etc.