The existence of Mzumbe University Library can be traced back to 2001 after being given status as the Directorate of Library and Technical Services (DLTS) by section 30 (1f) of the MU Charter of 2007 that was made under section 25 of the Universities Act. No. 7 of 2005 which repealed the Mzumbe University Act No. 21 of 2001. Before that, the Library existed under the then Local Government Training Institute that was formed in 1953 and later changed to the Institute of Development Management in 1972 and finally transformed into a University as already highlighted.
The Directorate has three (3) Departments and two (2) Units. The Departments are as follows: Technical Services, Reader Services and Library and Information Science Department. The two Units are the Audio Visual Unit and the Bindery Unit.
Objectives of the Library
- To procure textbooks and journals including a subscription to electronic resources mainly e-journal articles and e-books in support of teaching, learning and research activities at the University.
- To procure teaching equipment in support of teaching and learning at the University
- To provide convenient study places for improvement of learning and performance of students.